wtorek, 24 listopada 2020

Shygirl- ALIAS

Two years since Cruel Practice we finally get another EP from Shygirl. At this point I'm really dying for a
debut album, considering she had such a unique sound since day one, there are very few musicians who manage to do so much with so little. ALIAS brings another solid  batch of bangers with confident vocal delivered over dark, industrial beats. Also a cover so disturbing it could be mistaken for a Death Grips album. 


It might follow similar formula as Cruel Pracitice but in my opinion on ALIAS it's executed even better. I loved FREAK since the first time I have heared it- the beat hits hard and Shygirls flow is fantastic, especially during the parts where the track starts to speed up. It's like the song wants to be danceable but sometimes gets so quick you can't catch up and becomes almost desorienting. Those fast staccato beats are one of my favorite qualities in Shygirls music. I think it's displayed the best on her collaboration with Zebra Katz from Zebra's debut album. I still might review that project at some point cause it had been criminally overlooked by everyone this year. Just know that LICK IT N SPLIT is the best cut on it, in great part thanks to Shygirl. As the EP keeps going the tracks get more catchy and accesable. The house piano on TASTY is infectious, the refrain on BAWDY reminds me of M.I.A.'s Bad Girls in the best way possible. Closing the EP is SIREN, probably the most comercial cut Shygirl has released. It' s still pretty weird but the intrumental sounds like something one might hear in a club (in a scenario when any of us could actually go to a  club). 

ALIAS has some of the strongest material Shygirl has ever released. I have no complaints except for the fact that it's an EP and not a full lenght album. Hopefully we won't have to wait for it too long though. 

RATING: 8.5/10




Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz