czwartek, 5 listopada 2020

Gorillaz Albums Ranked Worst To Best

     

      Gorillaz is an unique project with albums radically ranging in style and quality.  I will probably have to edit this ranking soon, considering Damon Albarn is on a roll as of late and Gorillaz releases are almost yearly this days but considering their recent output, it’s going to be a pleasure. Sadly we have to start with a record less than exciting to say the least…


7. Humanz (2017)

After so many years of waiting for a Gorillaz album, we still didn’t get one. We would have to wait till The Now Now for that to happen. Humanz feels like a bunch of loose unlikely collaborations that didn’t even pan out that well. Before Song Machine came out I was revisiting most Gorillaz albums but when I got to Humanz I just put on Saturn Barz and Out of Body a few times and that’s it. Visuals are almost as significant aspect of  Gorillaz as the music and sadly artwork on the album cover is hideous, same as the motion capture music videos. I’m really happy they abandoned that idea because those were just embarrassing. Humanz feels like listening to an identity crisis that I’m really happy the gang got out of soon after.


6. The Fall (2011)

Yes, in my opinion it’s better than Humanz. I always imagined it as a 2D solo venture, he recorded during going through some tough times, the cover does a lot to sell that project for me. The only real standout here is Revolving Door, for the most part it’s just a bunch of loose musical ideas that are pleasant while they’re on but aren’t terribly memorable. Still, I might occasionally put in on in the background, which is more than I can say about Humanz.


5. The Now Now (2018)


I saw people describe this record as The Fall done right. I couldn’t agree more, similarly it’s a low impact, smaller project that comes out soon after a big record filled with guests and major singles. Only in the case of The Now Now, it’s actually better than the record proceeding it. It’s the most stylistically consistent Gorillaz album, it’s moody, sleepy esthetic causes a xylophone solo on the last track feel like a climactic finish. Apart from some moments that are lacking energy to a fault, it’s a satisfying listen, from the chill Humility to the stunning mix of synths and guitar on Idaho. Also I appreciate adding Ace as a temporary band member to validate a change in sound. I wonder what happened to him...


4. Gorillaz (2000)

The one that started it all. Despite having some amazing highlights, in case of Clint Eastwood- a highlight the group would not be able to beat for the next twenty years, it clearly feels like a debut where not everything is figured out yet. Some of the deep cuts have marks of Blur all over them, sound Damon still hasn’t fully shaken off yet. Apart from a few weaker moments, there’s still plenty of classics- Rock The House, Tomorrow Comes and my personal favorite:       19-2000.

3. Song Machine Season 1: Strange Timez (2020)


This one will be quick cause I wrote about it recently. It might not reach the highs of their earlier works but the whole series is just one banger after another. Production is top level, all guests are utilized perfectly. Pac Man and Momentary Bliss match the quality of Stylo or Feel Good inc. It’s the most feature heavy Gorillaz project and the first in years that feels 100% like Gorillaz.



2. Demon Days (2005)

Second place but already a perfect album. I can’t imagine more creative and detailed production and songwriting is consistently flawless throughout the record. Damon improved on all fronts since the projects debut, despite the wide range of genres he mashes throughout the LP it feels like it has more realized sound then it’s predecessor. He manages to pull of  mixes of rock, hip hop, spoken word, electronic and gospel music, all while having an overarching narrative. It’s not just consistent, it’s incredibly catchy and radio ready despite sounding like nothing else you’ll hear on the radio.

 

1. Plastic Beach (2010)

I don’t know if putting this one on the number one spot is a hot take of any sort. I love Demon Days and it’s a very close call but I just have stronger connection with this one. I used watch the Plastic Beach movie on repeat when I was younger, I still remember when my mom got pissed at me for watching the video for Cloud of Unknowing, which mostly consists of plane crashes, during our first time being on a plane. In a lot of ways it’s similar to Demon Days, production and quality of the songs are stellar, there’s a narrative binding all the tracks together. One aspect that plays a bigger role on  Plastic Beach and later  during Song Machine would become a central focus, is inviting many other musical talents and collaborating on a track that normally you would never associate that artist with. Having Lou Reed on Some Kind of Nature was simply brilliant. Sadly, Plastic Beach did not get as much radio attention as Demon Days, which it absolutely deserve. I can’t wrap my head around the fact that Melancholy Hill didn’t become a hit on a scale of Good Feel inc. or Clint Eastwood.

      

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz