piątek, 30 października 2020

of Montreal- Gay Parade (1999)

 I don’t know if it’s a hot take or not but I consider The Gay Parade to be of Montreal best album. They went
through a couple of phases during their discography but their early Stg. Pepper inspired days will always hold a special place in my heart. I know it may not be the most original sound they dabbled in but what’s wrong with making a indie pop Stg. Pepper for another generation.

The storytelling is hands down records strongest asset. The Gay Parade is a really nice framework to tell a bunch of funny, yet surprisingly touching stories. I feel genuinely bad for that poor guy in My Favorite Boxer, Nickee Coco and the Invisible Tree is a whole thrilling journey, happiness of the town folk after Nickee Coco is discovered (SPOILERS) is truly infectious. of Montreal is extremely skilled at painting a colorful little world in each song. The most fitting way to describe the album is cute, it’s just forty four minutes of cuteness. Especially my personal favorite, Neat Little Domestic Life. I have never heard a song that made doing the dishes sound so appealing. It’s one of the prettiest and subtle love songs I have ever heard. It may not speak to everyone but the idea of mondain activities being so appealing because of the person you love is more romantic to me than any ground statements and flowery metaphors. Instrumentation is equally colorful and cheerful throughout the record. Kevin Barneses vocals can be polarizing but their quirkiness really fits the animated nature of the album. So If you ever feel that in your life the moments of gaiety are too few there’s no record I would recommend more than The Gay Parade. It’s unquestionably one of the most underrated indie pop classics.




Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz