sobota, 31 października 2020

Coldplay- Parachutes (2000)

 Coldplay may not be one of the coolest bands out there which I certainly get. Except for a few moments on
X&Y or Viva La Vida argument that they are an edgeless band is fair. I just don’t see what’s so wrong with making relaxing, upbeat music, not every pop rock band has to be hard hitting. I’m the first one to criticize their later records but will always defend first four Coldplay as being inventive, atmospheric, well-paced albums.

It all started with the most atmospheric and mellow Parachutes. I have a soft spot for calm, night-time records and Coldplays debut is a perfect example of that. It’s all pretty obviously influenced by Radioheads The Bends but it still feels unique mostly thanks to Chris Martins falsetto. Don’t Panic, Trouble and Everything’s Not Lost still are among my favorite Coldplay songs despite how subtle they are. Yellow is their first stadium-ready cut, that despite it’s popularity never was a highlight for me. It’s the only moment that feels a little out of place, a sudden wall of sound that disturbs the surrounding peacefulness. Even Martin was making fun in interviews about how the lyrics don’t make much sense (yeah, stars aren’t yellow, unless it’s a Christmas card). Apart from that and the brief title track it’s all highlights as far as I’m concerned. I didn’t even mention Shiver, which exemplifies Bucklands guitar skills. Coldplay changed up their style significantly after the debut which made this record become a nostalgic classic for many. I can’t say it’s my personal favorite but I appreciate it as a unique start to a very diverse and (in my opinion) mostly solid discography.

Rating: 7/10

          

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz