czwartek, 10 grudnia 2020

LCD Soundsystem- Christmas Will Break Your Heart

           

I know I’ve been writing about nothing but Christmas songs lately but I promise it I’ll stop after this one (unless I change my mind at some point). Christmas Will Break Your Heart is one of my favorite tracks for this time of year, despite how mostly depressive it is. 

       I’m extremely thankful LCD Soundsystem had decided to reunite to record this little gem. I know a lot of people might not have been too happy with the group at the time and during following years. James Murphy decided to end the band in 2010 he made that whole process very grand and dramatic- there was a documentary made about the group and a 4-hour goodbye concert at Madison Square Garden that ends with sounds of people crying. So when he brought LCD back just few years later to release a Christmas song and an album shortly after that, people weren’t too thrilled. Nonetheless, the song in question is actually quite stunning. Occasionally Murphy would write those heartbreaking piano ballads that sticks out like a sore thumb among all the 8-minute dance-punk numbers but each time is a highlight. Christmas Will Break Your Heart is probably the most emotional and, well, heartbreaking track James has recorded since New York I Love You But You’re Bringing Me Down. Murphy’s performance is immaculate, he perfectly sells the vulnerability during the first leg of the track as well as the grand, loud finish. It sounds almost like a musical number with how theatrical the vocals are. The instrumentation is perfectly assembled, I love how the instrumentation builds up as the song goes on and how satisfying the pay-off is. I also really vibe with this track lyrically, anyone who acknowledges how depressive this time of year can be gets points from me. We need more Christmas music full of feelings of anxiety and dread. It has a pretty hopeful ending though, I don’t want to oversell it simply as a gloomy listen.

      I know I’m probably biased when it comes to this song because of my love towards LCD Soundsystem but I found Christmas Will Break Your Heart absolutely irresistible. It’s a daily listen for me every December. 




Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz