wtorek, 8 grudnia 2020

100 gecs- sympathy 4 the grinch

   

     I know I was praising that new FINNEAS track as the best Christmas song this season but how could I have predicted 100 gecs dropping a banger like that.

     From the first notes I was hooked, it felt reminiscent of Stupid Horse, one of my favorite moments on their last record. I’m glad they brought back the ska influence once again. It doesn’t feel like they’re retracing their steps though, sympathy 4 the grinch takes a much more punky approach, I especially love that thick bass line. Despite the track not sounding like a typical Christmas tune at the first glance, gecs managed to bring some holiday spirit by adding bells to the mix. The lyrics are funny as usual, I’m glad the duo managed to find their own way to twist the typical narrative of a Christmas song to fit with their style. The tune as a whole reminds me a lot of (and I mean this in the nicest way possible) the first Smash Mouth album. It’s not nearly as eccentric as anything gecs produces and I know the similarities might be slight but the instrumentation has a similar energy to it.

     We haven’t gotten too much original material from Laura and Dylan since their debut so I wasn’t sure if they will manage to live up to the status 1000 gecs has gained by this point. The two original songs released as a part of their latest remix album were entertaining but not as impressive as their previous work. Luckily Sympathy 4 the grinch can go hand in hand with their strongest cuts, showing that the gecs have still plenty ideas to evolve and grow on future projects.

RATING: 9/10




Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz